Customize an animated character and get a unique puppet to use in your own creations. Puppet Maker lets you select a style, pick features like skin color and clothing, and generate a final optimized puppet.
Free example styles
You are free to download and use these styles however you want - no credit needed. To install a style, double-click on the .maker file to open it up directly into Puppet Maker.
Robot with customizable head, arms, torso, legs, and metal color. Press the on button trigger to activate special actions like a flamethrower or spinning buzzsaw.
How do I use Puppet Maker?
- Open it up. When you first open up Character Animator, click the button in the new middle card on the home screen to launch Puppet Maker. This will open up the Puppet Maker window. You can also reach this window by going to File > Open Puppet Maker.
- Choose a style. At the top you will see a selection of styles. Hover over the thumbnail to see a preview of its diverse options, or click one to preview it and view its detailed customization options. Instead of only allowing for one character style, Puppet Maker will allow creators from all over the world to make their own unique puppets. There are 11 built in styles, with plenty of others available online.
- Customize your puppet. In the Customize section, you can click icons to get a live preview of your custom character on the right. Or try clicking the Randomize button to quickly cycle through randomly selected options. There are no predetermined categories here — creators can make whatever categories they want, from tee-shirt designs to props.
- Play with triggers. The Play section includes triggers to test your puppet with, such as eyelid states, different backgrounds, and more. These will be the triggers you’ll see included in your final puppet as well.
- Generate. When you’re happy with your look, name your character in the upper-right corner and click the Generate button. Puppet Maker strips out all the unnecessary custom parts you didn’t select to make a lean, optimized Photoshop artwork file and Character Animator puppet. Now you can record, livestream, or do whatever you want with your new character. You can also further edit your character in Photoshop if you want to make additional changes.
Can I make my own Puppet Maker templates?
We are currently working with a small select group of partners to help bring a diverse set of styles to Puppet Maker. The authoring experience is currently quite complicated, and is only recommended for expert Character Animator puppet creators in its current iteration. We hope to make this process easy for everyone in the future.
If you are an experienced Character Animator user and are interested in making your own Puppet Maker template files, please fill out this Google Form. We will begin reaching out to small groups in the coming months as we continue to work on this feature.
Want to learn more about Character Animator?
- Watch our video tutorials to learn everything from getting started to advanced rigging at adobe.com/go/chtutorials.
- Download more free example puppets at adobe.com/go/chexamples and okaysamurai.com/puppets.
- There are several companies that sell puppets and puppet creation services. We've featured some of them (and more free puppets) at adobe.com/go/ch_examples_thirdparty_en.