Beta Preview: Puppet Maker
Customize an animated character and get a unique puppet to use in your own creations. Puppet Maker lets you select a style, pick features like skin color and clothing, and generate a final optimized puppet. View the full release notes.
How do I use Puppet Maker?
- Open it up. (Note: this will only work in the Beta version of Character Animator. For more information on joining the Beta, see the section below.) When you first open up Character Animator (Beta), click the button in the new middle card on the home screen to launch Puppet Maker. This will open up the Puppet Maker window. You can also reach this window by going to File > Open Puppet Maker.
- Choose a style. At the top you will see a selection of styles. Hover over the thumbnail to see a preview of its diverse options, or click one to preview it and view its detailed customization options. Instead of only allowing for one character style, Puppet Maker will allow creators from all over the world to make their own unique puppets. In this beta release, we have three examples: Watts, Proteus, and Friday.
- Customize your puppet. In the Customize section, you can click icons to get a live preview of your custom character on the right. Or try clicking the Randomize button to quickly cycle through randomly selected options. There are no predetermined categories here — creators can make whatever categories they want, from tee-shirt designs to props.
- Play with triggers. The Play section includes triggers to test your puppet with, such as eyelid states, different backgrounds, and more. These will be the triggers you’ll see included in your final puppet as well.
- Generate. When you’re happy with your look, click the Generate button in the upper-right corner. Puppet Maker strips out all the unnecessary custom parts you didn’t select to make a lean, optimized Photoshop artwork file and Character Animator puppet. Now you can record, livestream, or do whatever you want with your new character.
Free example styles
You are free to download and use these styles however you want - no credit needed. Please note that these will only work as expected in the Beta version of Character Animator (see below for more info). To install a style, double-click on the .maker file to open it up directly into Puppet Maker.
Robot with customizable head, arms, torso, legs, and metal color. Press the on button trigger to activate special actions like a flamethrower or spinning buzzsaw.
How do I join the Character Animator Beta?
In the Creative Cloud Desktop app, click Beta apps in the left sidebar. Here you’ll see all Adobe apps with Beta versions that you can join. Click the Install or Update button next to Character Animator (Beta) to download it. This version will install separately from the current shipping version of Character Animator (4.2) and has a blueprint themed icon. Note that you need to be subscribed to the Creative Cloud All Apps plan to access both Character Animator and its Beta program.
Can I make my own Puppet Maker templates?
We are currently working with a small select group of partners to help bring a diverse set of styles to Puppet Maker. The authoring experience is currently quite complicated, and is only recommended for expert Character Animator puppet creators in its current iteration. We hope to make this process easy for everyone in the future.
If you are an experienced Character Animator user and are interested in making your own Puppet Maker template files, please fill out this Google Form. We will begin reaching out to small groups in the coming months as we continue to work on this feature.
How can I give you feedback?
We are opening up Puppet Maker to a wider release to get more feedback, so we can continue to improve it before an official launch. The best place to give us feedback is in the official Character Animator (Beta) forum.
Any feedback, good or bad, is much appreciated (you won’t hurt our feelings). Here’s some of the stuff we’re most interested in:
- Were you able to create a character you were happy with?
- Does the interface feel fast and responsive?
- Was anything confusing? Did anything not work as you would expect?
Note that the Beta app changes often (sometimes daily), so keep checking back to see what we’ve added / fixed. If you click the flask icon in the upper-right corner of the screen, you’ll learn about what changes have been added since your last visit.
Want to learn more about Character Animator?
- Watch our video tutorials to learn everything from getting started to advanced rigging at adobe.com/go/chtutorials.
- Download more free example puppets at adobe.com/go/chexamples and okaysamurai.com/puppets.
- There are several companies that sell puppets and puppet creation services. We've featured some of them (and more free puppets) at adobe.com/go/ch_examples_thirdparty_en.